Q&A: What makes a good UX designer?
I’m asked questions about product management from time to time. Here’s one I’ve answered recently:
Based on your experience, what makes a good UX Designer from the perspective of a product manager?
Read on for my reply.
Ooh – a tricky question :-)
In no particular order:
- Experienced in their own discipline but still keen to learn more
- Willing to share their knowledge with others (so everyone gets to know the principles of good UX / design)
- Open to discussions with / perspectives of other disciplines (good team collaborator)
- Not precious about their own designs – user needs are the most important factor
- Able to work within an iterative development environment
[I would argue this could apply to any specialist discipline on a product team simply by replacing ‘UX’ and ‘design’ as appropriate.
What do you think? Leave me a comment below.
Read more from Jock
The Practitioner’s Guide to Product Management
by Jock Busuttil
“I wish this book was published when I started out in product management”
Keji A., Head of Product